Frequently Asked Questions
Will my credit card numbers be kept safe?
No credit card information will be stored on the County Clerk system.
Why can't I use Discover or American Express to pay for documents?
There is a New York State contract that offers credit card processing services for a discounted rate. This allows us to keep the document charge low. This contract currently supports only MasterCard or Visa. If this changes to allow other credit cards, our website will be updated to offer those other options as well.
If I give you my email address, will I get spam?
We will not give your email address out. We will use it for one purpose: to send you one email containing your order information and order number.
No personal information entered on the website will be shared with any outside parties under any circumstances. No credit card information is saved on the website. This is why the credit card number must be entered for each transaction. Email addresses will be used only for sending the order number as part of the document copy purchase transaction.
How does the Broome County Clerk website work? (system overview)
- Searching: To begin, type the name of the person or company in the PARTY 1 field. If searching for an individual, make sure to type their last name first. By default, the search will look for results in both Party 1 and Party 2 fields. To only search the name in the field it is typed in, uncheck the "Ignore party type when searching by name" box.
You may enter a date range or leave both fields blank to search all records. To see anything recorded up to today, leave the "Thru" field blank.
You can narrow your search by selecting a document group. Clicking on the dropdown will show you all available groups.
Your search can be narrowed further by selecting the type of document you are looking for. Clicking on the dropdown will show you all the available types.
You can also search by "Town". Older documents may not be searchable by town. If you enter a town and you can't find what you're looking for, try removing the town from your search.
If you know the exact book and page, instrument number or case number of the document you are looking for, simply fill in those fields and click "Search". No other search criteria is needed.
- Search Results: When you have run a search, the results are displayed in a list. Results can be sorted in various ways by clicking the column headings.
Click the "View" button next to a desired document to see more information. If images are available the button will contain an asterisk (*). Not all documents have an image.
To view a group of documents, select them by clicking the checkbox and click the "View Selected" button.
- Viewing a Document: On the left side of the screen is the indexing information, along with any related documents. The indexing information can be printed by clicking the "Print" button on the left side of the screen.
If images are available for the selected document, they will be displayed on the right side of the screen along with controls for moving through pages, printing, downloading and resizing the image. Use the dropdown or the double arrow buttons to move back and forth between documents. You can also return to the Results page at any time by clicking the link at the top of the page.
- Printing an Image: To print select the "Print" button above the image. Select whether you would like to print all the images, the current image or a range of images. If you are not a subscriber and the location you are searching in charges per print, you will be prompted to securely enter your credit card information before you can print the image.
- Downloading an Image: Click the "Download" button above the image. Select whether you would like to download all images, the current image, or a range of images. If you are not a subscriber and the location you are searching in charges per download, you will be prompted to securely enter your credit card information before you can download the image. If you'd like to save multiple documents to download later, click the My Doc button. Click the My Documents link at the top of the screen to view all saved documents.
- Names Summary: To view all names that have resulted from your search, click the "Names" link at the top of the page. From the Names Summary page, you can print a list of names, view all documents associated with a particular name, or add the documents associated with a name to My Docs.
- My Documents: My Documents allows you to store your documents and print them all at once. Click the My Doc button, which appears on both the Results and View pages, to add something to My Documents. To view or print items you've placed there, click the My Documents link at the top of the page.
What are some General Usage tips?
- The IQS web site is best viewed with Google Chrome or Internet Explorer 10 or higher. Certain features may not work as expected in other browsers.
- Pop-Up Blockers can cause problems - enable pop-ups for gobcclerk.com.
- Give the images that you save on your PC names that are meaningful to you. This will simplify your task of finding these images later.
- Store all of the images that you save in the same location to simplify your document management. In other words, make an "Image" directory.
- If you want to keep these images, then back them up to avoid either losing them when (not if, but when) your hard drive crashes, or having them accidentally erased by you or somebody else who has access to your PC.
- If you have any problems accessing our website please contact the IQS Help Desk 1-800-320-2617 OR email@example.com.