Helpful Links

mobileCommunity Calendar Broome A to Z Economic Development Community Calendar

Obtaining A Passport


Obtaining a Passport Book or Passport Card:

You may apply for a new Passport Book or Passport Card at the County Clerk's Office. 

When applying for your new Passport Book or Passport Card, you'll need the following documentation:

Proof of US Citizenship

  • If born in the United States, you'll need an original or certified copy of your birth certificate with a raised or embossed seal. If you do not have an original birth certificate, contact the Town or Village Clerk in which you were born or the agency that handles vital records in the State in which you were born.
  • If born outside the United Stated, you'll need a Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship or Report of Birth Abroad.
  • Hospital records alone are not acceptable as proof of citizenship and we CANNOT accept them.

EFFECTIVE JANUARY 9, 2017: all customers applying for a passport (DS-11) MUST submit a clear copy of their citizenship evidence in addition to the original or certified copy of the original (birth certificate, naturalization certificate, consular report of birth abroad, certificate of citizenship).  It must be copied on white 8.5" x 11" standard paper using black ink.  It cannot be double sided.  Customers can also submit a second certified copy.  The copy will be retained by the US Department of State.


Proof of Identity

  • Valid Driver's License (If an out of state ID secondary ID must be presented)  Please bring a copy of your driver's license - this is attached to the application.
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Government Employee ID Card

Special Rules Regarding Children under age 16

  • To submit an application for a child under age 16, both parents or the child's legal guardian(s) must appear and present evidence of the child's US citizenship, evidence of the child's relationship to parents/guardian(s) and parental identification.
  • If only one parent appears, you must also submit one of the following: second parent's notarized written statement consenting to passport issuance for the child, primary evidence of sole authority to apply (sole custody paperwork signed by a judge) or a completed, notarized Statement of Consent (form DS-3053).

Two Recent Color Photographs

  • The photos must meet Passport specifications. It's recommended that you do not take the photographs yourself.
  • Photographs can be taken at various locations throughout the County such as CVS, AAA, Walmart, etc.  Prices vary according to location.


FEE TYPEPassport Fee as of 6/30/2010
To: U.S. Department of State
Execution Fee as of 6/30/2010
To: Broome County Clerk
Fee Total
as of 6/30/2010
Passport Book
Age 16 and Over (DS-11)
Passport Book
Age 15 and Under (DS-11)
Passport Book by Mail
(Renewal, DS-82)
Passport Card
Age 16 and Over (DS-11)
Passport Card
Age 15 and Under (DS-11)

*The $25 Execution Fee is not charged when adults 16 and over with fully valid passport books apply for the passport card using a DS-82 form.

Expedited Passports

If you require your Passport application to be expedited, you'll need to pay the following additional fees:

  • $60 to the US Department of State for expedited service
  • $22.95 to the Broome County Clerk for mailing expenses to Passport Services
  • $20.66 to the U.S. Department of State for return mail (passport BOOK only)

Passport Renewals

If your most recent Passport was issued less than 15 years ago, you were over 16 years old at the time of issuance and have not had a name change and can submit your most recent passport; you may be eligible to renew your Passport by mail.

For further information, you can visit the US Department of State's website at or contact the National Passport Information Center at 1.877.487.2778.